Saturday, July 4, 2009

Terrible Ten!

With Marathon Mom out of town for the 4th, C and I decided to run the 10 miles of our marathon training today, instead of tomorrow morning with the SCR's. We weren't too confident we would feel like getting up early if we happened to be out late tonight watching fireworks.. We got up early and met at Lowe's at 6:30 this morning to do the Lowe's 10, out to the Wiley Bridge and back. We agreed before we started that we weren't going to try and set any records with our pace and we also agreed beforehand that we would stop and take in some water at the beginning of the South Fork trail. I think we both worried that we would struggle, because our little 3 miler yesterday seemed hard and left me exhausted for the entire day. We were really looking forward to the return trip (downhill, usually feels faster) but at one point on the S. Fork we admitted to eachother that it just seemed to be taking forever. At our second water stop our bodies started to complain and stiffen up, it was pretty hard to get going again. To rub salt in our wounds a huge (20) group of bikers came racing up behind us as we were starting to go under the bridge. It was hard not to yell back @!#& when they told us to "watch out" and we literally had to jump out of their way. The bikers
at the back of the pack gave a weak "thanks" but it did nothing to make us feel better. What is it with bikers? The true test came as we re- entered the Heritage Trail and every step was painful. We made it though, and as we rounded the last corner and headed toward Bouquet and Starbucks, we both agreed we were very proud of ourselves for finishing! It wasn't the same without Marathon Mom to pull us along, but the runs will get longer and we will really need her then. Without her GPS we estimated that we ran for about 1 hr. and 40 min. give or take, and since there is no one to prove us wrong, we are going to stick with that story. Hope the "Freedom Mile" was fun, as for me I am going to celebrate the rest of the 4th from my couch!

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

Wow, that is great that you guys were able to pull off the ten miles! I ended up not doing the Freedom mile race in Mammoth after all. The race didn't start until 10:10, which was rather late and would have messed up our plans for the whole day. After my 3 mile run on Thursday and 5 mile hike on Friday, I don't think I could have ran anyways. I was so tired and sore. I don't think the race started so late last year, in fact I'm pretty sure it was much earlier because by 9 a.m. it was already warming up even at that altitude. It is good to be home, but I didn't miss this heat.