Saturday, July 18, 2009

Running in Circles

C and I could not let Marathon Mom run 11 miles by herself this morning, so we all met at Central Park to get our long run out of the way for the week. The high school kids had practice at 7am so we figured we would run 3 loops and then add 2 miles through the park onto that. I have a new respect for the kids when they practice at Central Park and seem to just be endlessly running in circles, it is brutal! Add to that the heat and humidity and it made for a really tough run. My husband showed up later to run a loop himself (he likes to wait till it's nice and hot out) and he made the comment on how long we were out there running. It did take us a long time, because we stopped regularly for water, which we sweated out right away, bathroom breaks (broke my own rule), and chats with the kids coach. It was the heat that killed us today,( my legs felt pretty good), and the monotony of doing the same thing over, and over, again. Marathon Mom had to leave us after about 8 1/2 miles because her son was done running and they are on there way out of town for a nice beach weekend. C, her daughter and I tried to get the last 2 1/2 miles in the best we could, we started out on the course through the dirt once again, but when we passed the dog park, we just couldn't face heading up the service road to the dirt hill, and turned to the left instead, we ran toward the grass soccer fields and straight to the sprinklers, we hit as many as we could and ran the grass perimeter twice. C's daughter said that once around was half a mile, so I am sure we came pretty close to our goal. It was a tough run, but I know we are all glad to be done for the weekend! Next run will be Tues. we will meet at the McDonald's on Decoro and McBean, and I think we decided on 6:30, we were overcome with thoughts of the heat when we made our plans.

4 comments:

marathon mom said...

It was really hard to sit in the long car ride after a long run, especially after rushing off and not stretching well. What a difference a few miles toward the coast makes. It's actually COLD here and I had to put on a jacket to walk around. I hope I can take advantage of this cool weather and finish up the couple of miles I missed. McDonald's Tuesday? Which way do you plan on running? BTW, I never want to see CP again.

Patty said...

We were intent on running somewhere we would be in the shade most of the time, but didn't talk about the exact route details. I am assuming we would run toward Copperhll, turn around and come back, hopefully getting in enough mileage, we may need to add some though. It stayed HOT here all day, and I was just exhausted! Totally agree about C. Park, I have never felt so tired and dirty after a run! Have fun and enjoy the COOL.

marathon mom said...

I never did get the rest of the miles in, too tired and having too much fun doing other stuff. We rode ATVs today for the first time and had a ton of fun. I never realized that the Pismo ATV area is so huge. We also got to see a whale off the pier. Anyhow back to running, I was more tired after running 8.5 miles at CP than running 10.5 the last week up McBean. I think it was the combination of the heat and also the course. It is a tough course, one that rivals the COC course when comparing racing times. The fact that we ran several circuits of it in the heat is really just crazy. I hope the heat isn't too bad there. It is quite pleasant here in the high 60's. See you Tuesday.

Patty said...

There are "excessive heat warnings" that is how hot it is! I think there are even chances of thunderstorms in certain areas so it is humid on top of the heat. It didn't even feel cool when I got up at 6am today. If I were you I'd stay at the beach!