Thursday, July 2, 2009

Greetings From Mammoth

I'm posting today at Mammoth Mountain, elevation 7750. As we headed farther and farther away from the city, I remembered how blue the sky actually is. That is one of the things I really love about this place, a chance to see the bluest of skies. I wanted to take advantage of this clean mountain air so I went for a run (more like a jog) for 3 miles. One of the challenges of running at this altitude aside from the lack of oxygen, is how thirsty you get right away. A half mile into my run I was wishing I had my water belt. I started to run down the bike path to the skate park, but it was starting to get dark and it was more densely wooded. After just finishing the 3rd sequel to the Twilight books, visions of bears, werewolves, coyotes, and vampires entered my mind. So I decided to run up hill on Main Street. It was tough going out because there was a strong headwind (its always windy at Mammoth) and I was running uphill. I think my pace was around 12 min/mile going out, but once I turned back it got a little easier. Still my pace was nothing to brag about. So I'm wondering. . . . since I ran at almost 6 times the elevation of Santa Clarita, can I multiply my 3 miles x 6 to equal about 18 miles?

1 comment:

Patty said...

We missed you this morning, we ran a quick 3 miles around Central Park, and it was pretty uneventful. Lots of High School kids out running, but not many from our school. We are planning to run 10 miles tomorrow from Lowes, no expectations, just get it done. I will post then if we finish and if not I will be home in a bad mood. Enjoy the clean air and the cooler temps.