Friday, July 10, 2009

Running with the Kids

This morning Marathon Mom and I met our friend K from work at Central Park for a 7am run. The high school kids are out in force, and so are the moms. While we ran I thought back to the days when we had to drive them to practice and figured while we were there we might as well get our exercise also. How lucky it was for me that I found other moms that felt the same way about running that I did, and were willing to get up early to run with me! The nice part is the friendships that have formed in the process. I don't have to drive my son to practice anymore, but Marathon Mom does, and I really enjoyed being there today to see all of them running, the older kids and the new faces too, what a difference a year makes in a kid in his teens. We had a very pleasant run, cool enough weather, and managed to get in 4.25 miles. We are mentally preparing for another 10 miler this Sunday so I am going to be lazy today, and maybe tomorrow, eat right and look forward to suffering with my friends in a couple of days!

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

I thought it was funny how we were so lucky at avoiding our kids our entire run, not for our benefit but for theirs. Sure enough as we're finishing, we run into your son's group. Oh well, we were technically done running, but I often wonder what really goes through their minds when they see their moms or their friend's moms out running. I hope it isn't too comical. My ego couldn't take it. I'm looking forward to a coffee run, even if it means running 10 miles to get it. I think it's time for an epsome salt bath tonight.