Sunday, July 12, 2009

10 Again

For Patty and C it was another 10 miler. They weren't too happy to find out that they only needed to do 9 miles last week. Oops! We met with our marathon group out of Granary Square again and headed north to Copperhill. At our water stop, we asked the trainer where we turn around and when he described it at first, Patty's jaw just fell and the look on her face was shock. I guess she misunderstood and thought it was a different, much harder route. The hardest part was just before the turn around when we made a right at Copperhill and ran uphill for about a mile with a 122 foot elevation gain. I guess it's good practice for mile 23 of our marathon where there is a significant incline of 150 feet. It was actually quite pleasant and 90% of the time we were in the shade. We even stopped in at McD's for a bathroom break and some fresh ice water for our bottles. The only annoying thing about this route is all the lights that we have to stop at. It's really hard to get going at mile 8 or 9 when you have to stop and wait for a light. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better if we just ran cross the bridge at Bridgeport and got onto the bike trail so that we wouldn't have to stop so much at the lights? It probably wouldn't have been as shadier. All in all, we all did great, especiall C's daughter who ran with the "faster" group. Afterwards we all enjoyed our coffee and our protein loaded breakfast sandwiches. Couldn't get any better than that.

On a side note, Patty's brother asked that we post our maps of the longer runs. Today we weren't given any, but I'm so glad I figured out how to transfer the image from my Garmin software to the blog. I just hope I can still remember how I did it for next time :0

4 comments:

Patty said...

Good job with the map, that is why you are the one with the Garmin! 10 somehow felt easier today, and I know it had to do with the course, it was very pleasant for most of the run. I did panic a bit when he was telling us to go to Tupelo Ridge and turn around, Tupelo Ridge opens up on Seco and on Copperhill, and my first thought was that we would have to take Copperhill to Seco, take Seco to Tupelo and THEN turn around! It was a traumatic thought at the time, but I realized my mistake and all was good. It was nice to have more runners out with us today, especially a few more that ran in our vicinity. It makes it easier to suffer if you have company!

marathon mom said...

As I was driving home after our coffee this morning right along where we just ran, I realized that I couldn't even remember crossing Magic Mtn Parkway. I guess you just get so focused on finishing that everything else is a blur, sort of like tunnel vision or driving on auto pilot.

Patty said...

I was thinking the same thing after the first half of the run. I knew we had run past the mall, Target and crossed the bridge that I hate crossing, but I couldn't remember doing it. I felt like the first half went by fast, and with the nice shade we had, was relatively painless. The way back hurt a bit and I remember it a lot more clearly!

marathon mom said...

It did seem as though we did have more runners out today. What I also noticed is that the marathon group actually has a higher ratio of women participants compared to men. Maybe it was just that day, or maybe all the faster men were all up front and left before we finished, but even at coffee afterwardds there seemed to be more women. Just an interesting observation.