Wednesday, August 19, 2009

We Love Hills, NOT!

I think it says a lot about our personalities that we continue to run those hills repeatedly at C.O.C. even though we really despise them. I think runners, especially long distance runner, have some type of personality flaw or mental disorder that keeps us coming back for more pain. The same is true of cross country runners. On average, they say cross country runners do better in school, not necessarily because they are smarter, but because it takes a very disciplined person to stick to something that is difficult, whether it be school, a job, or running. So today Patty, C, Sea N Sun, and I were very disciplined and ran the C.O.C. course not once, but twice. I didn't wear my Garmin, but I could tell that we ran it rather quickly. We were definitely feeling it by the second time around. I'm sure we'll continue to feel it tomorrow.

Patty and I were talking about our "phantom" readers. We can tell that others besides Patty and I read this blog by our site counter, but no one else seems to post much. We would love to hear from some of our "phantom" readers, just so we know someone is listening out there.

3 comments:

Claire said...

I suppose I count as a semi-phantom reader?! I read regularly but don't always comment. Sometimes I am too in awe of all the awesome running to say anything :)

Keep up the good work ladies, you all inspire me daily!

marathon mom said...

You're not a phantom or even semi phantom reader. You actually post quite regularly. Trust me, we are nothing to be in awe of so feel free to post whatever. Thanks for posting!

Patty said...

It is funny that you wrote about the torture we put ourselves through when we run. I mean what do we think is going to happen, one day the COC hills will be easy, and we will just sprint to the top barely out of breath? I always inwardly curse us when we get to the bad parts of our runs, (hills, tempo, or mile 10 of a long run) but it all melts away when we are done and planning our next run. I think it is our naturally competetive natures, or maybe that "runner's high" but we are a glutton for punishment, aren't we? I must say that all the years that I ran by myself, I always took the comfortable route, pace, etc. I think a lot of it is peer pressure, in a good way!