Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bad Air

As I looked out this afternoon, it didn't look good for our air quality. The fires in the mountains were casting a cloud of smoke overhead; however it was quite high and we couldn't smell any smoke. Despite the smoke and the heat, C and I decided to give it a try, each of us secretly hoping the other would cancel. We decided to start from Cheese Park, but ran to Copperhill and down the bike path avoiding the dirt trail altogether there and back. I had on new shoes, which I will be returning. I purchased a pair of Nike Marathoners hoping I could break them in slowly before our race, but I noticed the collar of the shoes were rubbing on the side of my ankles. I must have weird feet or low ankle bones because several brands of shoes do that to me, especially Asics. I've never had a problem with Nike, but these were not comfortable at all and I couldn't imagine running 26 miles in them. Oh well, I guess it's back to finding that perfect marathon shoe. Back to the air quality, both C and my throats were feeling scratchy and rather raw after our run either from the smoke or the hot, dry air. Since tomorrow will be hotter, we're thinking we will forgo the running and swim or try the indoor gym on our own.

1 comment:

Patty said...

The air is really bad today, and I didn't think about it when I made plans with Mary to run this morning. We met at Central Park and ran the course but it smelled and my breathing seemed labored. I just couldn't stand not to run after I was already dressed and there, but I don't know if it was a good idea. I am going to stay inside the rest of the day, hope they don't make the kids run after school today.