Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fabulous Fourteen!

Ok, there was nothing fabulous about it except it is over! C and I met this morning to run 14 miles, as part of our marathon training. We had managed to get out of the COC race on Thurs. night, and both felt a little guilty, so there was no question we would be out there today, slogging through 14. Marathon Mom had already crossed this run off her list last week, so the pressure was on us not only to run, but to try and get the correct amount of miles in without a GPS. We decided that we preferred to run Sat. instead of with the group on Sunday, so we tried to duplicate (somewhat) her course from last week. We started out at the Decoro McDonald's and ran down McBean to the trail that runs behind the car dealers, we then headed to the South Fork Trail and took that to the very end. When we were getting ready to leave the South Fork and run under the bridge, we noticed that a guy that was running ahead of us (obviously on a long run) had dropped the water bottle that he had just filled at the fountain. We drop our bottles all the time, they have to snap or they drop as soon as you start running again, so we ran after him to give it back. I am sure he would have missed it a couple of miles later when he went to get a drink. He seemed grateful when I finally caught up to him (I am lucky he was running pretty slowly) and mentioned he was running another 6 or 7 miles, well we were too! We took the trail to McBean, crossed the bridge and followed the trail to Bridgeport Park. At Bridgeport we crossed Newhall Ranch and started working our way toward Copperhill, the only bright spot in this leg of our run is when we ran into our friend K who was out for her own Sat. run. I would say we were doing pretty good until we hit the Heritage Trail at Decoro, I did not want to run on the trail because McBean was so cool and shady, but was afraid that we wouldn't get our mileage if we didn't. We lost our shade and although it wasn't hot, we were now running in the sun, add that to the rude bikers (bite me!) and the steady uphill on wobbly legs and it was the part of the run we will work to forget. We came out of the trail and headed to McBean, crossed over the paseo to Cheesepark and gladly ran downhill, in the shade back to McDonald's. So glad that run is over, I tried to convince C that we would look back fondly to our 14 miler, in a couple of weeks when we were suffering through 16. I am going to start thinking of it as an awsome run, and count it as the "Half Marathon Plus" that we ran this Sat! We missed Marathon Mom, I am sure we would have been done sooner with her in the lead, and we missed her GPS!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

Believe it or not, I was thinking about you guys while I was vacationing and wondering if you ended up doing the race and the 14 miles. I will have to get the scoop on why you guys decided not to race on Thursday. I'm glad you survived the 14 miles. Did you do the run/walk at all?

Patty said...

Yes we did run/walk, but without a watch, I don't know how accurate we were. I think we lost some time with the walking. I also think it really helped, I am not sore at all today, at least not any more than I would be from one of our normal weekend runs.