Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Days


Today is the first day of school for some of the MORE kids. Today is also the first day or first time ever that I have not walked or driven one of my kids to school on their first day of school. Both of my boys left this morning for school without me. My older son is now driving his younger brother to their high school. As I hugged my youngest before he left, I wondered how my baby could be starting high school already? It's cliche, but time does fly and the moments of our lives leading up to the hugs good bye this morning seem like a blur. I realized as our children continue to grow up and enter new chapters of their lives, we also continue to do the same and have never stopped just because we are "grown ups". It is a scary and yet exciting time for us as our children start leaving the "nest" for more independence, whether it be high school, college, or a career. I am thankful for my friends who have gone through these times before me, to commiserate and to give advice. I think that is the greatest value of our "running" group, not so much for the running, but for all the things we talk about while we're running.

2 comments:

Patty said...

It goes so fast, here is a poem that I have in the front of my boys' school scrapbooks. It's a bit cheesy but it expresses what we Moms feel:

A Touch Of Love
author: unknown

You were six months old and full of fun.
With a blink of my eye, you were suddenly one.
There were so many things we were going to do,
but I turned my head and you turned two.
At two you were very dependent on me,
but independence took over when you turned three.
Your third birthday, another year I tried to ignore,
but when I lit the candles, there weren't three, but four.
Four was the year that you really strived.
Why, look at you now, you're already five.
Now you are ready for books and for rules.
This is the year that you go to school.
The big day came, you were anxious to go.
We walked to the bus, going oh, so slow.
As you climbed aboard and waved goodbye,
I felt a lump in my throat and tears stung my eyes.
Time goes so fast, it's hard to believe
That just yesterday you were home here with me.
And tomorrow when the bus brings you home
and you jump to the ground,
You'll be wearing your cap and graduation gown.
SO I'm holding to these moments as hard as I can,
Because the next time I look, I'll be seeing a grown man...

This Page Has Been Viewed Counter Times.

marathon mom said...

I can't remember how many times I used to wish my boys were a little older so they could do this or that or I couldn't wait for them to be able to take that next step in life. If only I knew then what I know now. I don't wish to go back in time, but I wish I enjoyed it more and didn't stress so much over all the small stuff. Great Poem.