Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sweet 16


To be honest, it wasn't quite so sweet and it wasn't quite 16 miles either. It was more like 15.7, but Patty and I ran it at 10.5 pace overall which is pretty darn good considering how many hills were involved. On the 3rd mile we got to talking with another lady who uses the run/walk marathon strategy and she swore by it. Since she runs around our pace and her marathon times have been really good, we thought we'd give it a try with her today. I have to say, it worked really well. We ran 1 mile then walked for 1 minute. It made the miles go by faster and the short walking was just enough, but not too long where your heart rate drops. I felt much better today using this method running close to 16 miles than doing the 3 mile run/10 min walk strategy I did last time with my 14 mile run. This was a harder route too. Patty didn't feel the same way, but I think it was her stomach more than anything. At a certain point though, you feel so tired that you start to get giddy. At least I do. It's a good thing I didn't notice Patty's shirt problem until after we ran, otherwise I would have had trouble laughing and running at the same time. When we finally finished, all Patty and I could do was just sit on a bench in the shade for a while. It was too soon to get up and stretch; however, I finally had to when my calves started to cramp. I'm glad we did it and that's it's over. I think we had 38 people show up this morning for the marathon training. Toward the last 6 miles of our run, it was getting really hot and we were hugging what little bit of shade we could find. Running in Santa Barbara will be nice.

6 comments:

Patty said...

It was not "sweet" today at all! I knew it would be a tough run today, but I wasn't expecting it to be as hard as it was. The route really bothered me with all the hills and running in the sun. I did not like the part where we turned off of Rye Canyon onto the Old Road and were running on the bridge with no "ped" lane at all. My stomach was a mess, nauseous and the side cramp made the last 4 miles really hard. You tried to distract me from my pain by noticing the beautiful scenery and being silly in the sprinklers, but I felt like I was done about half way in, and everything after that was sheer will. I did have to laugh when we were all done, even with our coffee and you finally told me that my shirt had been inside-out the whole time, I thought we had an agreement on those things. I am sore this afternoon, and keeping my movements to a minimum! Glad it is done.

marathon mom said...

I honestly did not notice your shirt being inside-out until the very end when I mentioned that your shirt was on sale at Dick's. When I kept looking at, something just didn't look right, but it didn't occur to me that it actually was inside-out until you said jokingly "it's probably inside-out". I guess it was still a little dark this morning when we got up :)

I honestly didn't feel all that bad today. Like I said before, the worst part was when we were done and my calves began hurting so badly. I really didn't enjoy the dead skunk odor though. That really turned my stomach early on. As for the hills, remember to always plan on them when running with this group.

Marisol said...

Ladies you are AMAZING! I am very impressed and inspired...don't get any ideas:) Maybe one day I'll be out there with you. I can't believe the route you ran. How are your legs even working??? Looking forward to running with you soon.

Patty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patty said...

OK, I am sore tonight, hopefully tomorrow will feel better. Trying not to think about the "hilly eight" coming up.

marathon mom said...

I think Sea N Sun and K should join us for the hilly 8 next week. It's not that long, as far as miles go.