Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Hilly But Shady

Today Patty, C and I ran the paseos toward the Helmers switchback and back. It's been a long time since we ran that and I forgot how painful those hills can be. As we got to the bottom of the switchbacks, we stopped and debated on whether to run the water tower once or just add more miles by running around the perimeter of the school. None of us were feeling up to the tower so we opted for the longer route around the school. As we were on our way back, I mentioned how nice and shady that route is. I forgot that we often used this trail to avoid the sun. The only complaint was the heavy air. We couldn't figure out if it was the humidity or the poor air quality that was giving our lungs a hard time today. Perhaps it was a little of both. Just as we were finishing the last major hill climb, Patty echoed my sentiments exactly when she said her legs were just done. I could definitely feel the burn today. I'm hoping tomorrow's run feels better.

2 comments:

Patty said...

It was so nice to run in the cooler weather, but it did seem hard to catch my breath the whole way. I figured we just hadn't done hills in a while. I came so close to bailing this morning, I didn't sleep well, woke with a headache and was worried about my sick kid, but I am glad I did. I felt like we got a good workout and I felt my worries lighten a bit when we finished! I am glad to say that the sick one seems a lot better tonight than he was for most of the day. Tomorrow will be better!

Claire said...

Yuck! I remember walking up that hill when I was younger-not fun at all. Sounds like a tough run to me, humidity is just so hard to power through.

Keep up the good work!