Sunday, August 16, 2009

Not Quite 7


Today was supposed to be our "cycle down" week and we were supposed to run 7 miles with our marathon group. I say supposed to because we were actually short by 1/2 mile. I knew we would be short when we stopped at the Starbucks for a bathroom break on Valencia and McBean and my Garmin said we only ran 5.8 miles so far and I knew there was no way that we were going to get another 1.2 miles to Granary Square from there. Just to verify, I checked with another runner with a Garmin when we finished and she got exactly the same as me. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter too much that it wasn't exactly 7 miles since this is our low mileage week. Poor C had to use the restroom almost from the beginning and we didn't actually get to one until our very last mile. Here I am talking about bathroom stops again, which bugs Patty but then since she didn't run with us today I guess it's okay. As we were heading back, I told C how funny perspective can be. I remember not too long ago we would all get stressed out about having to do a long run like 6 or 7 miles and now 7 miles is considered an "easy" run. I have to say, it did feel rather easy, except for the first 2 miles when a nice hill was involved. That's another thing I noticed about the runs with the marathon group. No matter what distance, the trainer always seems to throw in a hill or two.
C, her daughter, and I opted to have coffee at the Starbucks near Corner Bakery, which was sort of a mistake. As we were sitting outside drinking our coffee, the slower runners and the ones that opted to do 10 miles ended up running by us and seeing us enjoying our coffee. We felt kind of guilty because we didn't stay for coffee with the group and also because they probably thought we just stopped running there and decided to have a coffee break in the middle of our run.

2 comments:

Patty said...

That is so funny about the coffee, how many times have we said while we were running "lets just go get coffee"! It is so amazing how the mind works in relationship to running 7 miles a couple of months ago would have been a long run, and now it is an easy one. Hmm, I wonder if soon 14 miles will seem like an easy run? (Probably not) I am glad to be back, see you tonight.

marathon mom said...

I thought that was kind of commical and ironic too because of all the times we have said "Can't we just stop here and have coffee instead?". And that's exactly what it looked like we did.