Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Why We Need Hills

Hills... let's face it, we hate them. My running friends and I pretty much plan our runs so we can avoid them at all costs even if it means running farther AROUND the hill rather than over it. We know they're good for us and they'll make us stronger, but it's like a lot of things that are good for us. We dread and avoid them, sort of like taking our vitamins, getting immunizations, or going for the annual OB/GYN check up, if you know what I mean. I have a shirt with a great saying on the back from the COC series, home of the "Killer Hill" and "Aftershock". It says "If it doesn't kill you, it will only make you stronger". So I thought it was time to run some modest hills tonight to start making us stronger and a little faster. It really wasn't all that bad. Mind you, these were not the "Killer Hill" types, more like a hiccup, but we had to start somewhere. If we have any thoughts of running the Beast in a couple of weeks ( yes, a couple of weeks) then we better start some hill training now.

Well if you need further convincing to run for the hills, here is a link:

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?CATEGORY=Running&CHECKSSO=0&STORY_ID=8855

2 comments:

Claire said...

I recently conquered the "hill" by my house, which is actually just a tiny little upslope in the street. I was thinking about those COC hills as I ran though! Maybe someday I can be there with all of you running those hills.

marathon mom said...

You go girl! Next time you're out here, we're going to take you up on it and bring you to COC's Killer Hill.