Monday, November 10, 2008

Hart Park Trail

Yesterday we took the train to Union Station to check out Olvera Street. Very interesting. Anyhow, as we were approaching the tunnel, I noticed that there was a great, fairly flat trail just past the historical buildings in Hart Park. It seems to go on forever. Does anyone else know about this trail? There's a lot of oak trees and the path looks like it's dirt. I wonder if we are allowed to run back there. The only concern I have is that it looks like mountain lion territory, but then so is Mentryville. It's very lush and wooded and there was even a campground along the trail. I can't believe I've never seen it before, but then again I wasn't looking for running trails the last time I took the train, which was about 10 years ago!

3 comments:

Patty said...

It sounds like it could be a good run, we will have to ask around. Is it on the SCR website where they show different routes? We definately need to find new territory as it seems we are stuck in a rut. I am looking forward to tomorrow, 7:30 @ Pavilions. See you there!

marathon mom said...

I spoke to a park attendant and she said the trail is open to the public. The park doesn't officially open until 8 a.m., but she said the park employees arrive at 6 a.m. and open all of the gates. She also said the trail winds to the back of the park and up to the mansion. She wasn't sure how long the trail was. She also cautioned against going very early or later in the evening due to coyotes and mountain lions. She thought we should bring a stick, hmmm.... I'm not sure if I can run with a stick, but I have pepper spray. She said it would probably be okay around 7 a.m. or so. The trail does wind up the hill to the mansion, which is only about a 200 feet elevation gain. I think we can handle that. Maybe we can do it on a weekend run?

Patty said...

Sounds good, something different, let's plan on it next chance we get.