Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Timing is Everything

Patty and I couldn't have planned our run more perfectly today. It really didn't look good this morning and it was coming down rather hard when I left the house for our run. I figured we could at least get our coffee. However, by the time I got to Peete's Coffee the rain had slowed and patches of blue sky were visible. We ran toward the Wiley Bridge on the South Fork trail dodging puddles and sliding through mud (true cross country conditions). We forgot about the work they have been doing on the trail so much of it was closed off after Magic Mtn Parkway, forcing us to run under the power lines and in the mud. This detour also caused a glitch with my GPS because we ended up losing signal part of the way. I'm not sure if it was the power lines or the trees, but I have noticed that running under or near power lines tend to upset the Garmin. Anyhow, when I got home and downloaded the map of our run, I noticed that it did not record at least 1/3 of our run (from Wiley to Magic Mt Pkwy). I think we probably did somewhere around 6.5 to 6.75 based upon what it was at the turnaround and what I know of the mileage from Lowes. It's 10 miles from Lowes to the Wiley Bridge Loop and we picked up the trail before the 2 mile mark, so I think that puts us close to 6.5 miles I'm guessing. Anyhow, just as we got close to Pavilions, the rain had just started again. Like I said, timing is everything and we couldn't have planned it more perfectly today!

1 comment:

Patty said...

We did get lucky this morning, it has been raining steadily since we stopped! I knew from the way my body felt that we had run over 6 miles, but of course I had been fooled before. I am so glad we got that run in, especially if this rain keeps up. Judging from the quote of the day, I am not an optimist, I love the food on Thanksgiving way too much to cut back!