Saturday, May 1, 2010

Oh Deer!

Some of the best things are never planned.  My son's games were cancelled for this weekend, which left me with extra time to run.  My husband wanted to run with me somewhere we don't normally run and so he suggested East Canyon.  East Canyon is just past the entrance to Towsley, which we have been to many times and it connects to O'Melveny Park in Granada Hills.  I've heard that East Canyon is actually prettier and better to run than Towsley or Mentryville so I was willing to try it.  Just as we parked the car and walked into the parking lot, a deer ran across the meadow to greet us.  We started a little later so it was already warm, but there were plenty of shade along the way.  The first mile on the trail is a gradual climb so we were able to run without stopping for the first mile, but then the trail got a little steeper and we had to run/walk the next mile.  It is really pretty and green there right now and the trail is much better and wider than Towsley.  Due to the recent rains, there were tons of wildflowers out too.  I would say the second half of the trail was about as steep as the Beast, but with less chances to recover.  At times the trail leveled off a bit, but it was only for maybe 25-50 feet and then you were back to climbing again, which was a little tough on the calves and the lower back.  There were plenty of people out hiking and some mountain bikers.  I would definitely do it again and I think my friends would like it too.  The only downside is that there are no bathrooms so we would need to make sure we stopped before getting to the trail.  All in all it was a beautiful run and a great way to start the weekend.

2 comments:

Patty said...

We do need to go somewhere different while the weather is nice enough to enjoy it. I am getting so tired of deciding between the same three trails on our weekly runs. I am going to need to step up the running to make up for lost time this past week, and to counteract all the eating! I hope the wind is gone, I have had enough to last all year.

marathon mom said...

I ran this morning again with the hubby up the river trail toward Copperhill and through the dirt trail by the power lines down McBean towards our local Starbucks. This has been our Sunday morning routine and I'm kind of liking it because it's short, right outside my door, and there's coffee at the end of it. It was windy on our run again this morning though.