Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Windiest 3 miles Ever!

I knew it was going to be windy today, but no one mentioned hurricane force winds!  C and I chose to meet at Central Park since it's usually a safe bet when it's windy; however, today it was an awful idea.  I should have known better as huge clouds of dust were being thrown around as I drove up.  We, including C's daughter, started out on the cross country trail by the basketball courts and after running about 100 yards, a strong gust of wind kicked up the dirt on the trail and proceeded to sandblast our legs.  At that point, we decided to turn around and get off of the dirt trail and run around the middle of the park.  We bypassed the first mile of dirt and followed the dirt road along the fence to the 3 mile turnaround point and then did a loop around the grass areas to add in the extra mile that we lost by not running the first part of the course.  As we ran by the dog park, the dogs were hidden in a dust storm while our legs were being shaved by sand.  Talk about dermabrasion!  I have to say it was truly a miserable run.  I can honestly say that in all the years I have been running, I have never ran in worse wind, ever!  I was pushing so hard against the wind that by mile 2, my calves were aching.  I am so glad that is over.  I would have gladly gotten back into the car and went home if I was by myself.  It's a shame Patty had to miss all that for her son's birthday.  Happy Birthday Andrew.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Sounds like I missed a miserable run! Don't feel so bad now, and will celebrate some more with some American Idol and a Pizooki. I know I am going to pay for all this eating and no running very soon.