Sunday, May 23, 2010

Women's 5K

Today was the Women's 5K to benefit the Santa Clarita Food Pantry. I was determined to run this race for two reasons 1. the low entry fee $15, and 2. the socks that they were giving away for pre-registering. Sea and Sun and C joined me this morning, and we huddled together in the chilly, windy weather, wondering what we were doing there. Our friend Marathon Mom is out of town with her boys, but texted me early, so I wouldn't forget to pick up her packet and free socks.

Once we got started, we were happy for the cooler weather, and the wind hadn't kicked up too much yet either. I personally still don't know how to run a proper 5K. I managed to run the first mile in 8:45, and a similar second mile, but the last mile was pathetic (uphill) and I dragged through it in about a 10 min pace. My time was 27:23, which seems to be right around my usual pace, Sea and Sun came in at 25:38, and C came in at 28:38. Sea and Sun just missed getting a medal, and I think C may have been close in her age range also, since she moved up a bracket. I didn't notice until afterward, but the range for me was 40 - 49 year olds, so I didn't feel so bad about being 15th. There are just so many great runners in my age bracket, the second place finisher is in my group!

It was a nice event, fun, all of us got a raffle prize, but the wind picked up quite a bit, and it got really cold. Looking forward to finding another race to run, maybe I will try to train a bit and get a better time.

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

Did my bib number win a raffle prize too? I wish I could say I ran while away, but it was way too cold and windy. On Saturday morning from our hotel balcony I watched a large group of runners (probably a local running club) run around the marina. It looked like a great trail and my husband and I wanted to run it the next morning. However it was REALLY windy and cold when we woke up, so we decided against it and enjoyed our Starbucks coffee instead.

I'm glad my friends braved the elements and ran the race. See what some of us will do for a cute pair of socks!

I got a text about a Brentwood 10K next weekend. Who's in?

Patty said...

You did win a gift certificate for a haircut, too bad you just cut it all off! We got lucky with the cold and wind, it kicked in full force, after the race. We talked about the Brentwood 10K, so we will have to decide if we can fit it in.

marathon mom said...

It's that our motto on MORE...To somehow fit running into our busy lives?