Friday, May 21, 2010

Hot Flashes

My friends and I are all in that certain age group when the dreaded hot flashes begin to occur.  What's makes matters worse is that when it's already hot out and you're running, it's like a double whammy.  Today I was lucky to get the day off from work and was able to go for a run with Patty this morning from Peets.  We took our chances and ran first toward the old train bridge where a bunch of men were still working on who knows what, but we just casually ran right past them as if we belonged there and they just waved at us like we owned the place.  As soon as we turned and headed north on the river trail toward Decoro, it got extremely hot and there really wasn't any shade to speak of.  I used the excuse of Patty having a race on Sunday to keep the pace slow. As we turned on Decoro and made our back way toward Peets, there were welcomed moments of shade.  Overall we managed a 10 min/pace.

When we got back to Peets, it was so hot and stuffy in there and I really couldn't tell if it was from the running, from the hot flashes, or just because it was hot and stuffy in there.  Either way, there was no way we were going to sit inside and we were lucky enough to find a nice shady spot outside where the breeze just felt wonderful.  It felt so nice to just sit that our food we bought just sat there for a while untouched because we just needed to cool down.  It was a nice way to wind down the long, hot run before we start our busy weekend.  Good luck to all my friends running Sunday at the Women's 5K race and I hope it's cooler!

1 comment:

Patty said...

It was so hot and stuffy inside Peet's today, I don't know how all those people could stand it! Sitting outside with the cool breeze, made our run worth it. It feels like it has been so hard to get acclimated to the heat this year, and I realize that it is not even really "hot" yet. I am glad to know that it is not just me that is feeling it! We will miss you this weekend for our race. I would not normally run if we couldn't all make it, but you know how much I love socks!!! Have a great time with your family this weekend.