Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Memorable Run


It was fitting on this Memorial Weekend that we began our first 10K race in front of the Veteran's Administration in Brentwood. I'm sure they plan it this way to remind people how lucky we are as a nation and to remind us of those who gave their lives for this country.

Today's race included me, Patty, Marisol, and Dawn.  I have to say we were all kind of not sure "how" to run this one since none of us had ever run a 10K before.  I planned on running a comfortable pace until the very last 2-3 miles of the race and then push the pace to a low 8 min mile pace, but it didn't turn out exactly like that.  It was extremely hot today and there was virtually no shade on the route, which was basically out and back twice on San Vicente from the Veterans Administration. I made the mistake of not bringing my water bottle with me and had to rely on the water stations on the course, which in my opinion was not enough.  I should know by now that I tend to need more water during races than most people, even in a 5K (3 mile) race.  Marisol shot out of the start line and was never seen again until the turn around when she was on her way back.  Patty and I stayed together for much of the way until the second loop.  I pulled away from her for awhile, but then the lack of water and the heat started to get me and I slowed down quite a bit during the 4-5 mile.  Patty caught me around the 5 mile mark and she was looking pretty good.  I finally got some water around the 5.5 mile mark and walked a bit.  I really wanted to press the pace before this, but just couldn't do it without some water and I could feel my legs cramping which meant I was dehydrated.  After my water break, I gave whatever energy I had into finishing strong and not letting the lady with the baby jogger beat me.  Somehow the lady with the baby jogger got Patty, but we finished pretty close together.
Our chip times are below with our age rank, overall time, and pace:
Marisol: #22 -  54:42.8 - 8.49
Me: #23 - 56:44.0 - 9.09
Patty: #7 - 57:00.0 - 9.12 Wow!!!! 7th in age group!
Dawn: #34 - 1:105.3 - 10:34

The link to the full results are below:
Brentwood 10K results

Awesome job ladies, particularly to Dawn who had never even run as far as 6 miles before today.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Today was memorable, in a good way this time. I was much happier with the way I felt today, than last week's 5K. I wore my GPS, which I think helped me to keep my pace down during the 1st mile. I knew I would be running this race alone, and the first mile and half was hard, and I mentally wanted to just quit, but after we made the turn and started on the slight downhill, I felt much better. On the second loop I really felt comfortable, and while my goal was just to keep my pace from slowing, I actually sped up a bit and made up some ground. I still have trouble at the very end though, and when I should have really kicked into a sprint, I just felt like I was done! I saw the lady with the stroller pulling away, and didn't have the strength to catch her! Thanks for mentioning it. 7th in my age group is probably as high as I will ever get, so I will take it. I also was so impressed with Dawn and her great attitude, and the fact that this the first time she had run 6 miles. Our young friends are so easy going about the racing, and only have to hit the porta-potties once, compared to my 4 times before the race. It doesn't take much to affect my stomach, or my mood. Thanks to Marisol for driving, and we will see what race she comes up with next!

marathon mom said...

The only time it's good to be older is when you realize you would have done so much better in the next age group. I'm at the top end of my age group and would have been in yours in just 3.5 months and then I would have placed 6th! And you're only 5 months away from your next age group and that would have put you I think 3rd or 4th! Gee, something positive to look forward to when getting older.

I didn't feel my best today, but I'm glad I finished it and didn't drop out. Even elite runners like our boys' ex-coach have off days, but like you said one of the advantages of being slow is that no one notices how slow we are. If you're an elite runner everyone notices so I guess it's better not to finish rather than posting what they would consider a terrible time.

Patty said...

I would never forgive myself for dropping out of a race. I always feel like it though, especially at the beginning, my mind ALWAYS goes there. I guess I have something to look forward to in the next age group! Don't know about you, but my legs are super sore, not enough rest after, I think. Early day again tomorrow, ugh. Good luck at soccer.