Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Mom Treadmill

Lately it has felt like I've been on a non-stop treadmill of just running around getting things done around the house, for the kids, work, school, etc.  Patty and I ran today for a quick run because we were off to a track banquet for our kids and we decided to run on the "shadier" side of the river trail.  Well. . . we discovered that at 4:30 in the afternoon there is no shade on the "shadier" side.  Even with the heat, we decided to try to run a faster pace since we were running only 3 miles.  We managed a 9.19 pace, which wasn't too bad considering the heat and the fact that we haven't been doing any tempo runs for a while.  After the run, it was off to home to shower and get ready for the banquet and also to check on the food we had to bring to the banquet.  I really wanted to take a nap before the banquet and never really had a chance to since I had to go out and buy gifts for the coaches for the banquet. It is almost 10 p.m. and I just got home from the banquet.  Somehow Patty managed to sneak away at 9:15 p.m. due an "emergency".  Something about a fruit pizza that was burning.  Well I'm off to bed now so I can do it all over again tomorrow.  No wonder why we wake up so grumpy!

4 comments:

Patty said...

Good thing I did leave, I was not only making fruit pizza, but cleaning up the kitchen till late. Today's run was hard, and I knew as soon as I told you that I wanted to run faster today, that I would regret it for sure. The heat really took a toll, and I couldn't breathe the whole time.

justme said...

yes i too feel like i am on the mom treadmill. i have been getting house ready to put on market and that is a major undertaking....

marathon mom said...

There was more on my mind last night, but I was too tired to write about it. At this point in our lives (40+), it's hard to tell if we're grumpy because we're just too busy or if it's because of the hormones. I remember when my kids were little and I used to treat them to a happy meal every once in a while. Sometimes I think we moms need a happy meal (or pill)every once in a while too. I know I definitely need a vacation away from everyone in my family. I know the running is helping with the stress and anxiety, but for it to completely go away, I think I would have to be running 24/7!

Patty said...

The only problem with getting away, is that you have to come back, and it just picks up where you left off. As long as you know what to expect it is OK to try and get away for a bit. In fact I will be ready in a couple of weeks when graduation is over and before the summer stuff kicks in. Any ideas?