Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Graduation

At tonight's high school graduation I captured this photo of Patty's son which I thought really expressed the joy of this day.  As I sat there watching so many of these kids I've known for years, some as far back as first grade and even since birth as in the case with my nephew, I had a whole mix of feelings.  I tried to remember what I was feeling on the day of my high school graduation.  It was probably a mix of happiness, relief, excitement, and sadness.  Interestingly enough those were the same emotions I was feeling as I watched the graduation of these young people.  This is Patty's 4th high school graduation and she's even been through several college graduations.  I wonder... does it get any easier watching your babies grow up so fast.  I know next year is my turn, but I'm not ready for it yet.  They really do grow up too fast and leave too soon.  I suppose the only thing you can do as a mother is to wish them the best and support them in whatever direction they may go.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Graduations are so emotional, the relief, the pride, the sadness that they are growing up. I have been to many graduations, and they are ALL emotional at some point. This one was very efficient and the kids were amazingly well-behaved. Maybe Saugus is just a rowdier school, but there were so many beach balls, and a guy who streaked in lingerie. It was wild. I thought the singers were so good, and the girl who gave the speach about High School being like running a race really made me cry. My child is happy, and I am SO proud! I have the pictures to prove it, but none like the one you posted, Thanks!

marathon mom said...

I know, it was funny how there were subtle references or reminders about running during the graduation. In fact, I almost texted you when the girl started singing the song, "The Climb"!