Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Running in the Rain

I think today was the first time we ran in the rain together.  I've ran in a torrential downpour when my kids were little, but not really since then.  Today, Patty, C and I met by my community pool and started our run towards the Helmers switchbacks.  Before we got there, there were scattered showers, but the skies were blue and the sun was out so we thought we were safe.  However, it was pouring by where Patty and C live and that should have been a clue to us.  As we started our run, it started to rain big drops.  By the time we got to the foot of the switchbacks, it was coming down rather hard and so we contemplated just running back to the car and calling it quits.  However, it seemed like such a waste to get all dressed and come that far just to go back and not run.  We finally decided that we were already wet so we should just go ahead and finish our run.  It rained pretty much the whole way to the point when we turn around, but on our way back the rain had stopped and we had a gorgeous view of the valley.  As we came down the switchbacks, we even had enough energy to run the steep hills up to the water tower.  Patty sent me an article on running and this particular "Rules of Running" really rang true for me.


5. You rarely regret the runs you do; you almost always regret the runs you skip.


I'm really glad we got today's run in.  I think the rain was a welcome distraction and it probably kept the snakes away!

1 comment:

Patty said...

That quote really made me think of today's run, I would have been disappointed if we hadn't finished it. I know that I suggested cutting it short, but I knew that I didn't really want to. I had to smile at the way we all ran single file down the middle of the path, to avoid any snakes that may have been lurking in the bushes! It was amazing how it was pouring, dark,windy, cold, clear, sunny, warm and beautiful, all during one run!