Monday, March 29, 2010

ENOUGH with the Snakes!

This afternoon, I met Marathon Mom, Sea and Sun, and C at Central Park for our Monday run. We spent the beginning of our run describing the large snake that crossed our path last week on the paseos behind Helmers. Marathon Mom also told us a story about how she killed a "baby rattler" at Central Park during her boys' running club practice. I don't know if everyone bought her story, or believed it was really a rattler, but sure enough, once we passed the employee parking lot, and started down the dirt, I started screaming my head off. I came very close to stepping on a "baby rattler" which was right in the middle of our path. Of course I am known for stepping on things, (rocks, dog poo, you get the picture) and it is a miracle that I managed to jump over it just in time. From that point on our pace was pretty speedy! I think all of us just wanted to be done, safely. With Marathon Mom in the lead, we managed a pretty good 9.25 pace for 3 miles. I don't think we will run at Central Park again, anytime soon, unless we need to do some speed work.

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

I hope that will be the last time you girls doubt me. I'm not sure what was making my heart beat so fast, the workout pace or the sight of the snake. I'm so glad none of us stepped on that thing. I can't believe Sea=N-Sun has never observed any of the rattlesnake signs throughout the park. Between the rocks and snakes on the trail, I think I'm done with that park for a while, at least until winter when the snakes are hibernating.

marathon mom said...

Okay one more comment about the snakes. I'm not sure how much safer we will be running on the paseos since Karen spotted a coiled rattler right on the switchbacks we run on behind Helmers. I wonder how many runners, if any, are struck by rattlers on their runs?