Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Running Safely

Patty and I met for a quick short run since we are running again tomorrow morning.  We met at Bridgeport and ran toward the train bridge, which is more isolated and it made me think about the disappearance and death of the young girl down in San Diego. Her story hits close to home because we realized that it could have been any one of the many young girls we know who run alone.  In fact, it could have even been one of us or even a boy.  No matter what, it is so important to run with someone else and if you have to run alone, do it in a very populated place. Also, I never liked the idea of running with music because you become unaware of your surroundings and cannot hear what's coming up behind you.  As runners, none of us should take our safety for granted.  It is always better to be overly cautious.

1 comment:

Patty said...

The story about the girl in San Diego seemed to touch everyone in my house. My brother used to live right there and if he ran, would have run the same route. I am glad that I do not have to go out alone, and it just makes me appreciate that most of the young girls we know, run with their team. The parents of the girl that was killed, showed such grace, that I don't know that I would be able to find, at such a time. Hope the rain clears up by tomorrow morning!