Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Short and Sweaty!

Today it was even hotter than our last run together, so we decided we would take the Paseo from Bridgeport School toward Helmers, and do hill repeats. Marathon Mom, Sea and Sun, C and her daughter and I headed out, with the idea, that at least we would have shade with the Paseos. I have to say that the shade from the Paseos was much better than running into the sun on the trail! The hills however were a different story. It seemed cruel and unusual punishment to have to run by the Northbridge pool on our way to the hills behind Helmers, the people splashing around were so annoying! When we got to the switchbacks we started up, but decided that instead of going as far as we usually do, (which would have meant a long steady climb) we would just turn around and do "hill repeats on the water tower road. This of course sounded good to me, because it meant we could then cruise back down, and short spurts of hill running sounded so much better. I freely admit that I am not a good hill runner, Marathon Mom, and Sea and Sun looked really strong, and C passed me like I was standing still! It seems like I have to work really hard to get to a point where I can run as far as my friends on the uphill. We did two sets of repeats which doesn't sound like much, but was a really good workout, and I am sure we will be feeling it tomorrow, in fact I already am. We are going to guess we ran about 3 miles total, but I know we got a good cardio workout. The title is kind of silly, because we never don't get sweaty, even on a short run

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

Okay, you can't complain about being jealous of those people in the pool. I tried to convince you girls to swim today instead, but noooo. I think the hill repeats were good. They made me work much harder than if we just ran our usual route past the switchbacks and I could feel my heart pumping out of my chest. I'm also very glad I brought water because it was all gone by the time we got back.