Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Snakes Alive!

Today Marathon Mom and I ran the hills behind Helmers, and were surprised on the way back by a 4 ft snake in the middle of the path. Needless to say we both screamed and stood there for some time, trying to decide if it was safe to run past it. Since it seemed to want to crawl off the path and toward the hill, we figured it would not back up while we ran by. It seems like all kinds of "wildlife" is out with the warmer weather, we complain during every run about the bugs that fly in our mouths, and noses (yuk), and it seems like we are constantly dodging the lizards that seem to like to play chicken and run right in front of us.

Today we started from the pool at Fairview and Grandview, and headed toward Helmers to run the hills and switchbacks in the paseos behind the school. It was a good run for me today, a little slow starting, especially on the first hill, which is a switchback that seems to go on forever. Once I got going however, I felt pretty good, much better than our hill repeats last week. The worst part was the last block going up Grandview, back to the pool. It was a slight uphill and into the wind, and for some reason the legs just gave out. I think we ran 3.95 miles, so I will round up to 4, and I have no idea about pace, but have to take the hills in to account. Glad it is over, glad I did it, not happy about all the critters!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

I hate to break the news to you, but it was actually just over 3.5 miles and the pace was 10.3. I know it feels a lot longer on the hills. My legs were spent from the moment we left the parking lot. I think the snake was a welcome distraction from how crappy I was feeling. I thought it was funny how we were "fighting" over who would get to run past it first. Oh, and chewing gum and bug at the same time is not fun. I thought starting by the pool would be tempting and may eventually convince you to swim one day instead of running. Like the article you read said, we need to increase the intensity of our workouts or we're just going to keep packing on the pounds. How depressing is that!

Patty said...

For some reason I thought we were just under 4 miles. Wishful thinking! I felt better today than I did last week so I am not complaining about the mileage or the pace. I am just tired of reading and hearing about how as we get older we need at least an hour a day of exercise just to maintain our weight, not even to lose! I need to do something on the days we don't run, walk, or strength train, maybe even swim. I like just sitting and reading, or watching TV, that is the problem. Also, I am giving up gum on runs because of the bugs, GROSS.