Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jogger vs. Runner

I often wondered what makes someone a jogger versus a runner. Runners certainly don't want to be known as joggers and joggers probably would take offense at being called a walker. Last year when Patty and I went on a 9 mile run just before the half marathon, we walked into a coffee shop at the mall and the girl at the counter made the unfortunate mistake of asking if we had a nice "walk". We both snapped "WE RAN!" Boy if looks could kill. I think that its human nature to want accurate recognition for the pain and suffering one endures in pursuit of exercise.

Anyhow I looked up the definitions for both and I really don't see the difference, but I would still prefer to be called a runner.

Jog: To move along at a slow, steady, jolting pace or trot.
Run: To go by moving the legs faster than in walking. (Hmm, isn't that what jogging is too?)

6 comments:

Claire said...

I think I'm still in the jogging category...emphasis on the "slow" for me. I'd call you ladies runners for sure!!

marathon mom said...

Yeah, I really don't like the part where it says it's a jolting pace or trot. Makes me feel like a horse.

Patty said...

My husband always took great offense at being called a jogger, so I always claim to be a runner. However as long as I am not called a walker I am really OK with it. I have been accused of being beaten by walkers or people with walkers. The worst is those that run/walk and still beat me. Oh well.

Patty said...

Hey, I just noticed the weekly mileage feature. That sure puts the pressure on, now the whole world, cause I know they all follow this blog, will know if we slack off! It will make my life a bit easier though, thanks!

marathon mom said...

Yes Patty, I did it so that we are all more accountable for our running or lack of it. We can always blame it on all the rain this week. Hey, at least I didn't put the pace info on it too.

Patty said...

.
Kinda makes me want to run tomorrow.