Thursday, January 14, 2010

Working It Out

Thankfully, I was able to make it to the run this afternoon. I was a little surprised that Marathon Mom, and C were up for a run after their "hill workout" yesterday. They didn't seem to be suffering from the hills, and that makes me a bit suspicious-we always joke about just going out for coffee, maybe that is what they did? We started at Cheesepark and ran to the Heritage Trail, taking it toward Decoro, we then crossed over to the other side of the trail and took that side back up to Copperhill. It was hot to start with but we were going downhill and with the wind, so it seemed like it went by pretty fast. I have to say, that for whatever reason, I like the other side of the trail better when we are running back "up" to Copperhill, today it was cooler (a bit of a headwind) and it is definitely flatter, so it seems faster to me, even though I know it is farther. My legs felt good today, and I knew we were keeping a pretty good pace. We discussed the fast -vs- slow theories and I don't think we have settled the question of which one is better. I think for us, that mixing it up is going to be the way to go with our running for now. We aren't training for any particular run, and I personally would like to jump start my metabolism and lose those few holiday pounds that are still with me. If I remember right we ran 4.3 miles, at a nice 9.29 (?) pace, which felt good but cut down a bit on the talking. Marathon Mom is off to the snow, so C and I will see what kind of long run we are up for this weekend. I am so looking forward to the long weekend, which starts for me tomorrow!

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

I'm glad things were better today and you were able to make it to our run. I am just as surprised as you that C and I had so much energy after yesterday's run. I really don't think we have tapped the full extent of our marathon training benefits. However, I am now exhausted and ready to go to bed at 7:30 p.m. I think I prefer the shorter, more intense workouts, but I agree that we need to do both the long, slow run and the short intensity runs. I hope you and C decide to do the Ben's Ten run. It's a lot of fun and no pressure. I just hope I can get some miles in somehow this weekend.