Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pessimism is Good

The thing about being pessimistic is that when you don’t have really high expectations, you increase your odds of being pleasantly surprised. That’s what happened today when C and I met to do our first hill workout in a very long time. I was really dreading the run and thinking we were going to suffer through it. We ran from Bridgeport and immediately headed uphill on the paseos toward Helmers. It was not easy running into a strong headwind as we were reaching the top of the first hill climb, but we managed on. Then we got a slight break until we got to the switch backs behind Helmers. We ran to the top of the switch backs until it leveled off and then turned back at 1.5 miles. The way back was mostly downhill except for a short steep incline on Fairview back to the paseos. Yeah it was hard, but it was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. Don’t get me wrong, I was breathing pretty hard at the top of the switch backs, but my legs felt pretty good. I was really surprised that it wasn’t as hard as I imagined it to be and we even ran the entire 3 miles at 9.4 pace! I can definitely see us running this on a weekly basis and increasing the distance to 4 miles or more into Northpark. It was a good run and the view was really pretty from the top. It will also be a great training run for the C.O.C. series. It was too bad Patty couldn’t join us, but hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. I think she would have liked this run.

2 comments:

Patty said...

I am sorry I missed it, I did think it was going to be a tough run, and when I saw how windy it was, I was thinking "miserable". I am glad it wasn't too bad, since I think we will be running it again next week. I needed a day off, but HATE to miss out on a run, I will be back to it tomorrow, and hopefully be in a better frame of mind. Good job getting it done!

Patty said...

I like the quote for today, I think a lot of our days are just that, us trying to be productive, get things done, no matter how we feel. I think we all need to know that everyone else is doing the same thing.