Sunday, January 24, 2010

Who Motivates You?

I am sure I was supposed to post something yesterday, after our run, but whenever I had the time, I could not get on the computer, so here it is. The three of us met at Lowe's yesterday, for our first run since the rainstorms started. The plan was to run our weekend 10 miler and that is what we did. I was hoping that the week off of running would leave my legs feeling rested and fresh the whole way, but that was not the case. By the time we got to the South Fork Trail, I was ready for that water break, and an excuse to stop and stretch for a minute. I have to say that the rest of the run was only bearable because I had my friends to talk to, in fact by the time we were back on the Bridgeport Trail, my legs were so tight and sore all the way down the back, that I thought surely I was going to cramp up. C was the only one who didn't complain about her legs (she is also the only one who ran on the treadmill this week), I guess we paid the price for staying home in front of the fire. It was such a great feeling to be able to stop running, and just sit on a chair in Starbucks! Hopefully if it rains this week we will find a chance to get out and run, or break down and hit the gym.

After our run, Marathon Mom asked C and I why we don't run 10 miles when she is not with us. Of course we told her that it just isn't the same when she is not around, and that is true. I think we motivate each other to run, farther, faster, in bad weather, in bad moods and consistently. I know that without my friends, I would still run, but I would not challenge myself, the way that they do, and I would not enjoy it nearly as much. Thanks for the motivation!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

I guess guilt motivates me. I was reading Claire's blog about how she went traveling around town in horrible weather to try and find an open treadmill to run on and here we've had one available to us all week and we didn't take advantage of it. I also think it's the social aspect of our running that motivates me to get up and go. I felt pretty rested at the beginning of our run, but it just felt like I kind of locked up and ran out of fuel for my legs toward the end of our run. I think we should try to GU up a little on these 10 milers. I'm kinda missing my GU (not really).

Patty said...

I too felt guilty when I read Claire's blog about the search for a treadmill! I also thought about the GU when my legs were finished at the halfway point yesterday. When we were training for our marathon, we would take GU at 5 miles, I think we should do that on our 10 milers. I have been resisting wearing the water belt since we ran 26.2 miles with it on, but know that I have to break down and put it back on. As long as we keep on going out and trying we are on the right track.