Monday, January 11, 2010

Forcing a Run

Today, Marathon Mom, C, and I showed up to run, with a long list of aches and pains from our 10 miler last week. The tone at the beginning was definately negative, and that is why I titled this blog "forcing a run". I know if any of us would have had to get out on our own tonight, we would have just skipped it, but luckily, misery loves company, and that is what we got. We agreed to run a mile and then stop and evaluate how far we wanted to really go. It was a good thing we had agreed to stop because with the wind in our face, and Marathon Mom speeding up the pace (on the uphill, REALLY), and C's hip pain, we all welcomed a break, after a mere mile. We all agreed that 3 miles would be just fine, and trudged through another half mile, where we turned and started the preferable downhill part of our run. I say we trudged, because I honestly felt like someone had poured cement in my shoes, it was that hard to keep my legs moving. The last mile was the best, even though the pace picked up quite a bit, I finally felt like my legs were moving, and my breathing had hit a comfortable place. Surprisingly, we managed an overall pace of 9.3, and that was only because we really picked up our pace at the end. We keep talking about trying to swim after our long runs to give our legs a rest, but I fear for anybody who might have to witness three mature ladies in bathing suits, in the dead of winter. I am going to search online for a body suit, one that goes at least to my knees. Anyway, I am glad I got out, hope I burned some calories, because I am back home, in my jammies, looking for something to eat!

1 comment:

marathon mom said...

That was a good title for today's run. It really did feel like we were "forcing a run" in the beginning. However, it is important to clarify that we didn't run 10 miles last week, it was just yesterday. I knew it was going to be tough by the way I was feeling all day yesterday after our run and today. I just have to accept the fact that running is pretty much painful and difficult to do. I think the sooner we accept that, the less likely we'll be surprised at how terrible we feel most of the time. You would think we'd be used to it by now. I do think swimming would have felt better on my legs today. I guess I really need to start looking for a suit.