Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!


I couldn't have asked for a better way to bring in the new year than to go on a long run in the beautiful Vasquez Rocks State Park.  I was a little hesitant about the run because my husband kept telling me how tough the course was.  When we got to the park this morning, the parking lot was already full of fellow runners and I was glad to see Patty and her hubby waiting for us.  I was worried that it might be too warm to wear long sleeves, but as soon as we got out, I was glad that I did.  It was quite windy there, but as we started running through the canyons we were shielded from much of the wind and the weather turned out perfect.  I wasn't expecting the trail to be as narrow with sharp drops to the sides, but it wasn't quite as bad as I envisioned it since my husband made it sound so bad.  When he ran it a few years ago it was actually another trail, which is now closed. Patty and I ran with Doris, another mom we knew through our kids' running program.  C decided to skip this run.  The trail had many rocks and there were a few that fell among the group. I didn't originally intend to run 7.5 miles because I thought the trail was only 6.5 miles long so on the the way up, we decided to turn around at mile 3.  But when we got to mile 3, we weren't quite ready to turn around so we thought we would go until 3.5 miles to make it 7 miles (I have a thing about rounding out our runs to whole numbers).  Yet when we got to 3.5 miles, we could literally see the turnaround and everyone kept saying you're almost there (where have I heard that before?).  For me, I knew I would regret it if I didn't run the whole thing when I was that close.  I could see in Patty's face that she too didn't want any regrets.  Our friend Doris was ready to go back, but she followed us swearing at my back the whole time.  Needless to say, we made it back.  I'm really glad we finished the entire run and I could tell that our marathon training really helped on this run.  Back at the parking lot Patty and I along with our husbands joined fellow runners from the running club for some shared goodies.  This was a hard run, but it was also definitely a fun run for me, one that I have been waiting for a long time to do with friends.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Nice picture, why is it that I always look like I worked so hard? I am glad you are happy about the run, I am too, happy it is over! I was thinking of all kinds of ways to back out of this one, it is funny but the thing I was worried about was the "cold." It was a very challenging 7+ miles, and my back has been feeling it since we stopped. I am just so glad I did not fall off the side of that narrow trail, I have problems on the flat and wide streets we run on. Too bad "C" missed it, but something tells me, she might be glad she did. Great way to start the New Year!

marathon mom said...

I don't know. . . if you and C ran this one without me, I would have regretted not being there and I know you would have too. I thought it was really funny when you started talking about running the Beast soon and how quickly that changed on that last climb back. The trail was really narrow and steep off the sides. At one point I had to keep telling myself not to look down. They never mentioned that it was a billy goat trail.

Patty said...

I was actually thinking on the way back how stupid I was talking about doing the Beast! I must have been showing off, it caught up with me for sure and I know I was dragging. I talked to C and not a bit of remorse. I told her that you were going to make sure she did it next year, but then that would mean I would have to do it again, so I should have just kept my mouth shut. I would feel terrible if you did it without me, but that doesn't mean I am going to like it! Thank goodness for all our recent running because I am not too sore, maybe tomorrow.