Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Crazy Week!

It has been a crazy week!  It started out with Patty undergoing an unexpected appendectomy.  A doctor had asked one of my friends if she was under a lot of stress, which is really a silly questions to ask a mom don't you think?  Stress is our middle name and when things are not so hectic in our lives for a brief second, we wonder what we're forgetting to do or we feel guilty like we SHOULD be doing something. 

C and I ran without Patty for obvious reasons today from Bridgeport into the hills behind Helmers.  It was really tough because of the strong headwind, but I didn't want to whine too much since I was glad I was running at all.  C had a really bad day at work and we talked about the task of reinventing ourselves with new careers later in our lives when our children are all grown.  When I first gave up my career to stay home with my children, I remember hearing of how difficult it was to go back into the workforce and thinking that won't be me.  However, that is where I am now and so are many of my friends.  I don't regret giving up my career for my children since it led me to a new career which I enjoy much more, but it is really difficult to get back out there and have the confidence to compete in the modern workplace with people that are younger or who have never left the workforce. I guess we have to take our own advice that we give our children and say "try your best" and "you can do anything if you set your mind to it".

As for Patty, we are really going to miss running with her for a couple of weeks, but hopefully she will still join us for coffee.  I also hope she takes this opportunity to relax and have others take care of her. Don't worry Patty, C and I are going to take it easy for the next couple of weeks so that you don't have too much catching up to do.

No comments: