Saturday, November 28, 2009

Wind Warning!

I woke up today, and noticed a definite change in the weather! The ground was wet with drizzle and the wind was blowing pretty hard. I convinced C that we should postpone our run, at least until the sun came out, in hopes of some warmer weather to run in. Well, even with the sun out the wind was blowing so hard that our run was less than enjoyable. We started at Peet's and since Marathon Mom was out of town, I brought my Garmin to keep track of our run. However, since I am technilogically challenged, I couldn't get it working properly, all I got was a stop watch, and no tracking of our mileage or pace. We headed out toward the South Fork and decided to just go as far as we felt like going. We figure we made it out about 2 miles before we headed back, straight into the wind. What is usually a nice gradual downhill run back to Peet's, was a true fight against a pretty strong headwind! We were never so glad to see the bridge at McBean and know that our run was over for the day. The goal for this week is just to get out a few times, get the heartrate up, and avoid any type of pain, that may take time to go away. We accomplished that much and had a cup of coffee before heading off to spend time with our families. C is enjoying some time with her daughters, one home for the weekend from college. I went to work preparing a turkey dinner with all the fixings for my boys, because my oldest had to work on Thanksgiving and missed out on the family gathering. It took me the entire day to prepare, and the kitchen literally looked like a bomb went off. It all turned out really good though, and made me appreciate my mother, who for so many years put it all together, with seemingly little effort and no complaining. Thanks Mom, I love you! I also thought of my #2 son who is serving our country in the Phillipines, and had a Thanksgiving dinner that he said contained something that may have been turkey. I am going to send him a box of food this week. Hope you had fun Marathon Mom, looking forward to running this week, and planning our big run which is coming up fast.

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

While in San Diego, I was really surprised to wake up Saturday morning with rain driven by cold, gale force winds. We had a nice view of the beach and there were huge waves and white caps in the ocean. As it began to hail during my son's game, I wondered what the weather was like for you in SCV and whether you two got out for a run. Originally I had planned to go running along the beach in Carlsbad, but my husband ended up being sick the whole time we were down there. I didn't want to run by myself in an unfamiliar area so I had to wait until I got home this afternoon. By 4:30 it was still windy so I decided that I would rather run a hilly route rather than into the wind so I ran my usual Helmers loop. I felt a little heavy on the hills from all the Thanksgiving treats, but otherwise felt good. I hope the coffee you had afterwards was worth the run this morning in the wind. This weekend's wacky weather made me realize how unpredictable it can be and to come really prepared next weekend.

marathon mom said...

As for your son serving out of the country, let me know if there is something else he or his fellow troops need. I would love to contribute something to make their time there a little easier over the holidays.

Patty said...

Sorry the hubby was sick, with the cold weather it must have been miserable for him. Both C and I agreed that we never would have gone out on Sat. if we had to do it alone. The good news is that the wind is supposed to die down, and I think the weather is supposed to warm up for the end of the week. Hoping that we all stay well, and get our rest. Thanks for the offer, I will let you know what he might need when I know a little better. Welcome home!