Saturday, November 21, 2009

So Long Soledad

Tomorrow is exactly 2 weeks away from our Marathon, and today was our last chance to get int a long run before we start to taper down. We planned to run 15 miles, starting at Peet's, heading to Soledad and taking it as far as we needed till we hit the halfway point. It was cold when we started at 7am so we kept our jackets on and headed toward the Lowe's shopping center. Of course by the time we got to Lowe's we were hot, and we ditched our jackets and gloves in some bushes and started the run up Soledad. Marathon Mom's GPS ran out of battery, so it was up to me to keep track of our mileage, and time our 1 min. walk breaks, Ugh! I think I did a good job, only forgot to look at the mileage, once that I confessed to. When we made our stop at the bowling alley on the way back to refill our bottles, and go to the bathroom, the smell of eggs and bacon was almost too much! It was all we could do not to order breakfast and call it a day. We picked up our jackets from the Lowe's parking lot, swallowed the last of the advil and GU, and set off for the last 2 miles of our run. We decided to keep the pace slow, and not stop at all, just run it like a cooldown. However, it was a little tough to keep our pace over 10 min, as I think we have a set pace that we automatically revert to. It was a good feeling to be done, (just in time), and we all felt good to do about 15.15 miles at a very respectable 10:31 pace!! We were really cheered toward the end of our run, when we realized that we wouldn't have to run down Soledad again (at least for a long time) since we were done with the really long miles. The next long run, is the BIG one, so this week, we are going to try to keep the running fun, like the Turkey Trot, on Thursday, and hopefully today's success will keep us optimistic about the Marathon. Oh, and I convinced the girls, that coffee and pastry would not be enough, so we had a wonderful breakfast at Denny's afterward, it was the perfect end to a very good run!!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

I'm was very grateful that you had your GPS to back us up. I know I talked about not bringing my GPS for the marathon, but I think I will since I like to see the pace I'm running. It's weird, but in some ways I think I will miss Soledad Cyn, just in a nostalgic sort of way of all the pain and suffering we endured together there. I really felt good today, but I'm worried that we're tapering down too much, too soon. Oh well there's not much we can do about it now. Breakfast was really good and it was a nice change of pace (sorry about the pun) to actually sit down and have breakfast rather than just a cup of coffee and pastry. I'm looking forward to finding out what kind of spirits you and C come up with for the finish line of our marathon to celebrate. I think you girls are corrupting my morals. Before running with you two, I didn't even know what Patron was. Right now, I'm voting for champagne!

Patty said...

I think it is the prevalence of liquor stores along Soledad that prompts the "spirits" discussion. I also have a feeling that you were in pretty good "spirits" yourself and have not been influenced. 26.2 miles and a stomach full of advil and GU may not be ideal conditions for spirits or champagne. I am sure we will be celebrating though!! FYI a patron is someone who frequents a place of business. (not from Websters)