Saturday, November 14, 2009

Thank You Ma'am

Okay, it's official that I am a ma'am and not a miss anymore. There goes my youth! After our run and coffee today, I held open the door for a man and his young son by which he thanked me with a "Thank you ma'am!". I could hear the silent chuckle amongst my friends. To that I say, let's see if he can go out and run 10 miles after not eating for 2 days. Really, I'm sure he didn't mean any harm. Amazingly I felt rather good today considering how bad the last 3 days were for me. Today's run had a few interesting events. First off, as soon as we were on the South Fork, a man on a bike came right up on the heels of C and Patty just to make a point that they were in the wrong lane. No warning, nothing! So of course I sarcastically said to him "Thanks for the warning". I could hear him coming, but he didn't really give them a chance to move and was within inches of running over their heels. True we were running three across the trail, but how about some courtesy. As he passed us he pointed a finger to the lane that we all should have been in and of course we returned with a slew of other remarks that I am unable to write about here. I continued as Patty and C stopped to stretch at Magic Mtn. Pkwy. Along the way, C managed to lose one of her gloves and Patty stopped to turned around at the Wiley Bridge. After the halfway point, C and I ran back together and tried to meet up with Patty while looking for C's lost glove. C was concentrating so hard on finding her glove that she almost ate pavement when she caught her shoe on one of the wooden edges. We finally met up with Patty and C's other glove at the Valencia Bridge. Patty took a shorter way to Starbucks via Valencia Blvd. due to her irritated IT band and C and I ran back the same way we came. It turned out to be a great day for a run, although it started out really cold. I am glad I was finally able to go out for a run with my friends and enjoy coffee/tea with them afterwards.

4 comments:

Patty said...

That nice young man was just being polite, it would have been so funny if you would have said "you're welcome Sonny". I've been a Ma'am for a while now, so it is nice to know that we are in the same boat! It turned out to be a beautiful day, but a terrible run :( The only good thing about it was the coffee afterward. I am glad you are feeling better, even when you are not full strength, I can't seem to keep up, Ugh!

marathon mom said...

I don't know what we were thinking when we thought we could just run our 22 miles less than a week after running the half-marathon. Oh well, better to be over-ambitious than under-ambitious. Sounds like you and C are both glycogen depleted.

Patty said...

Sorry but I didn't "hit the wall" today, just a sore knee. Sometimes you can't explain why, you just have to get out try again the next time.

Claire said...

Well, don't feel too bad-I've been ma'am since I moved to North Carolina at age 24. I guess it's the combination of the soldiers and the south. I don't really even notice it much anymore, although the cashier (woman) who called me "baby" a few days back did get my attention.

I think you ladies are being too hard on yourselves, you just ran a half marathon for heaven's sake! I hope you will all be feeling up to capacity soon.