Sunday, November 8, 2009

Half Down, Full to Go!


Today was the annual Santa Clarita Marathon Race Day! For the third year in a row, my friends and I decided to to run the Half Marathon. We thought it would be a good training run in preparation for our Full Marathon, next month on the 6th. I have to say that we couldn't have ask for nicer weather, or a more beautiful day to run. We started out with jackets and gloves, but it quickly heated up and we tossed them to the side. The only real downer today, was at mile 3 as we were plugging along, feeling pretty good, and Marathon Mom mentioned the fact that her husband, (who was running the 5K), would already be done running!! Never mind, because we made it through the run today, in better shape than ever before. I am not saying that my time was any better, (it was about 5 min. slower) but I felt so much better during the run and afterwards, that it made up for the slower time. My friend C said, "any day that we feel like we can actually walk afterwards is a good day." My feet, which hurt for a full week after last year's run, felt really good today! I am so glad we have put in some really long miles, because the combo of advil, and only a couple short walk breaks, made it totally manageable. I think I am still feeling those endorphins, because I haven't taken any time to start freaking out about the fact that we will have to run TWO times as far as we did today!!!! The best part of the day, was seeing my friends afterward and the smiles on their faces :) My #3 son came up from San Diego and ran the Half also, he did just as great as he did last year, and having him out there, even if it is far ahead, is a real treat for me.

5 comments:

SD said...

Great job!!

I might join you ladies next year :)

Patty said...

We'll plan on it!!!!

marathon mom said...

I thought I would add the picture to the post to prove that we actually were quite happy after our race. If you look closely, you will notice not only the matching shirt, but the matching sun glasses and the famous matching LL belts. We were feeling so much better than last year and I think that's mainly attributable to the long miles we've been putting in. I did stiffen up a bit later on and I am extremely sleepy.

I'm glad I didn't push it too much and listened to some seasoned runners on race day strategy so I have something left for next weekend's long run. I ran a comfortable pace with Patty and Caryn the first 5 miles, then tried to maintain under a 9 min pace until the last 2.5 miles when I slowed it down to about an 11/min cool down pace. I think it worked for me, although I probably could have done with less water stops. The water stops being at different places from the mile marks kind of messed me up a bit. The results are already posted. I ran about 5 minutes slower with the run/walk strategy, Patty about 4 minutes slower, but Caryn ran almost the same time as last year even with the walking and just recovering from the flu. Amazing!

Kudos to all of us for getting through another one. Now we just have to get through next weekend's 22 mile run.

Claire said...

A half marathon as mere training?!?! You ladies are awesome! Great job and congratulations on a great race.

cm said...

I think the picture says it all, we all felt better after this half ! Despite the fact we did match on few running items !! I wish I could have stayed with you guys longer but I did'nt have too much in my tank (energy wise). My body overall held up and I was very happy about that ! I very glad Patty's leg hung in there and Marathon mom's body seem to hold up too. I know the longer runs helped. I still wonder how I am going to do twice this in a bit less then a month, but it's too late to turn back now !! Its been quite a journey so far, and I look forward to the end of this part of the journey for us all ! I know there will be others, but I do look forward to the short runs just for the heck of it !! Good job to all !!!