Monday, November 2, 2009

Remains of the Day

It was quite warm when we started our run from Cheesepark tonight, and as we were running up McBean toward Copperhill, we discovered the remains of what looked to be an animal. The spine was quite long and we thought maybe it was a dog, or a coyote! It was in the middle of the sidewalk, and quite creepy. We decided to run along the far side of the trail to avoid having the sun in our eyes, and once we got going it was really quite a pleasant run. The wind had really died down and every so often we would hit a nice cold pocket, that just felt so good. We were talking about how we have been running so slow, and really not getting our heart rate going lately with all the long runs. Marathon Mom decided to change that tonight, and really picked up the pace on the way back to Copperhill. The conversation is very one sided when she does that, and I really felt the faster pace. I didn't talk much but I did feel really good, my knee didn't hurt at all, and I felt like I had something in the tank, which is a nice change from all the miserable runs we have had lately. We ran a bit over 4 miles, and I think we kept about a 9.26 pace, which really felt good to be able to do. We will keep our miles low this week, because of the Half on Sunday, but tonight it was just about the speed work, and the skeletons!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

The REAL reason I decided to run faster wasn't so much for our heartrate, but because I kept thinking about:
1. Those skeletal remains
2. The fact that it was getting dark
3. How full and sort of creepy the moon was
4. The story about the young woman hiker recently killed by coyotes
5. The fact that we were in coyote country!

So I was basically running faster because I was chicken and wanted to get the heck out of there! I'm just glad we got back in one piece. I am also concerned about this weekend and not really sure what to expect. All I can do is just go out there and do the best I can do, but I just don't know how to go about doing that yet.

Patty said...

It is so funny that we can have two such different perspectives on the same run. I was thinking:

1. That looks like a big stick (oops it's bones)
2. It's cooler now that it is almost dark
3. What a beautiful full moon, it was so low
4. A coyote wouldn't attack two people
5. I am glad we got out for a run tonight!

I guess it just goes to show that if I was running alone, I wouldn't notice much. Thanks for getting my heart rate up.