Sunday, October 4, 2009

No More Sympathy for Me


Not that I don't appreciate the get well wishes, and concern for my knee troubles! However, when a whole post is titled "Poor Patty", I come to realize that I have become quite pathetic to my running friends. Today was a long run day for us girls, and Marathon Mom came up with the brilliant plan to have me join her and C, after they had run 9 miles, and then I could continue with them until they finished 18 or 19 total, giving me around 10 miles. After getting the OK from my doctor, I agreed to the plan, (when will I get the chance to start a run with them already tired from running 9). You can look at the map that Marathon Mom posted, and tell that it was a totally new course for us, and I think I missed the worst of it. I met them at the corner of McBean and The Old Road and enjoyed the slow downhill that took us into the industrial center. My knee felt good until we got to Newhall Ranch Road, and started to head toward Bouquet, I really thought I would have to cut the run short at that point. I think the run/walk strategy we have been following, really helped with the knee pain, and the Motrin that Marathon Mom gave me, because by the last 2 miles the pain had lessened quite a bit. I actually felt like I could have run a mile or so more. I know that my friends felt much worse than me, since they put in a total of 18 1/2 miles, today, but I had to remind them how far they have come since the first 18 miler we ran. After that run we all crawled to our cars, drove home and spent the day in bed. Today we were able to drive to Peet's and enjoy our coffee and pastry, just like we used to do after a long run. This tells me that all the miles are paying off. I am not up to where my friends are yet, but I feel like I am on my way! So don't give me your sympathy, unless of course I start complaining again, which may be after the next long run.

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

I really felt like crap today, to be perfectly honest and it didn't help that Patty had fresher legs to keep pushing the pace. However, I shouldn't complain too much. Even with the climb to the Ranger Station at Mentryville, we ended up averaging 10.53/mi. I think the reason I was so tired is because my total miles for this week was 30 miles! Yikes, I forgot that I ran an additional 3.5 miles on Monday by myself. I am so glad that Patty was able to run the 9.5 miles. I hope that is a good sign that she is on the mend.

I really like the map on the Garmin Connect because the map we got today from the training was so small that no one could read it.

Patty said...

Ugh! I just read a post on another blog about a woman whose IT Band flared up during a recent marathon. It was very depressing, and scary. My knee is a bit stiff, sore this morning from yesterday's run, and that makes me kind of nervous. I am going to the doctor to check in with him today, and will ice right now!

marathon mom said...

Hopefully it is just "normal" soreness and stiffness from the long run. My WHOLE body is sore and stiff. I wonder how Dr. B would treat that?