Sunday, October 25, 2009

20 Mile Talk

Today was the day we had to run our 20 mile training run, and in light of last weeks disaster of a 15 miler, we decided it would be good to start at 6am, and try to beat the heat. We started at Peet's, took the Bridgeport Trail, crossed Bouquet and ran down Soledad to Sand Cyn and back. 20 miles is a long way, and lot's of things popped into our minds during that time. Since we are friends, and girls, of course we talk about all those random thoughts, and in case you might think that 20 miles would be really boring, here is a sampling of those thoughts.
  • 6am is really early, 6am is really dark, 6am is really cool (aah!)
  • We've only run 1.8 miles, how are we going to make 20?
  • Thank goodness for clean bathrooms, I have to pee again!
  • Is riding a bike with a harness for your dog, animal abuse?
  • What is with the outfits, that the bikers wear?
  • What is with the bikers, in general?
  • Why don't I have a better running outfit (I just thought this one)
  • GU is good, Advil is great!
  • Would a shot of Patron, halfway through a long run help?
  • We LOVE the grocery store, we LOVE the bowling alley, and really LOVE cold Gatorade!
  • Hey if someone saw us running now, they would never know we've already run 17 miles
  • If someone saw us now they would wonder why our legs are barely moving!
  • My knee hurts
  • Hey my knee doesn't hurt anymore!
  • We really want a steak!
  • Does anyone eat at Chi-Chi's anymore?
  • Does Phydeaux need a playmate?
  • It is nice to have the wind at our backs
  • A 9:27 pace after 18+ miles, is pretty good
  • When is this run going to be over?
  • Wow, the run is over?
Pretty good for three old ladies (sorry Marathon Mom). I guess this may prove we are pretty boring. We did also talk about the usual kids, husbands, jobs, and pets, but as you can see, we had a lot of time to consider other things. We all felt so much better than last week, so we sat in Peet's and had coffee and our Egg McMuffins and basked in our accomplishment. Glad it's over, and so glad it went so well! Did someone mention a 22 miler, I'll pretend I didn't hear it.

4 comments:

marathon mom said...

Here are some of our other thoughts:

*Those guys look like drug dealers.
*Those two guys on the bikes look like drug buyers going to meet the drug dealers.
*Wow there's a lot of liquor stores on this side of town.
*Maybe we should take up cycling after our knees give out?
*If that's what happens to your thighs after cycling, maybe not.
*I REALLY have to go to the bathroom.
*Maybe we should just run another 6 miles and call it a marathon?

I am so amazed by how much better we felt this week compared to our last run. I really did feel like I could run another 6 miles. In fact, I felt so good that I ended up driving all the way to San Bernadino by myself to see my son's second game and then shuttling back two more soccer boys to the S.F. Valley and then home. Funny enough, I asked one of the boys why his mom wasn't around all weekend for the games and as it turned out, she was up in Sacramento running a marathon (CIM) from Folsom to Sac. I finally got home in time to make myself and my sons that steak dinner. All in a mom's day!
*

cm said...

We did talk about many things during this 20 miles ! It was what got me through it. I am really glad we all seemed to survive this run much better than the last ! I am really proud of all of us !Though I do look forward to this next weekends shorter run. Thanks for pulling me through today. C

Patty said...

Wow, can't believe you drove to your son's game, must have been that runner's high. I really laid low and tried to nap but could not do it. How much caffeine is in that GU anyway. I never could have finished a run like this without my friends, I am proud of all of us.

SD said...

lol @ shot of patron! that hit my funny bone :)