Sunday, October 18, 2009

Heat Training

The girls and I set off at 8:30 this morning for a 15 mile run. It was a bit later than we would have normally started, but they were nice enough to let me say goodbye to my son, daughter-in-law and grandaughter who have been visiting this week. We started from Peet's and headed toward Copperhill on the Heritage Trail, not a good way to start a run. The couple mile uphill, although gradual, to Copper always seems so hard, and it was especially hard today. We then headed back down McBean and stopped for cold water at the McDonalds. Then we ran to Newhall Ranch and over to Bridgeport Park to hook up with the trail and head toward Lowe's. Right at the start of the Lowe's trail we ran into the faster SCR's who were finishing their 24 miler (we did share their gatorade too), then we ran along Soledad until we got to the Cross Valley Connector overpass. At this point we all felt like we were done, and if we had had a cel phone we would have called for a ride home! On the way back down Soledad, we stopped at the bowling alley, and refilled our water, got ice, and shared the best Gatorade I have ever had. We really lingered there and if we would have had money, I am pretty sure, we would have bowled a couple of games. With 4 1/2 miles to go we headed back down Soledad for one last stop at In-N-Out to load up our bras with ice and fill our water bottles one last time. It truly was hot at this point and I think my friends were cursing me and the late start. I know that this was a hard run for all of us, and I won't post our time or how long it took, but suffice it to say, we had several messages when we got back wondering where we were! I am encouraged however, because my knee made it through, (3 advil during the run) also the run/walk that we do, really helped when it was hurting. I think if we keep the same strategy I will get through the 20 miler which is scheduled for next week:) Luckily for us, our marathon starts much earlier, and should be much cooler than today, so there is hope! I am going to ice the knee, soak in the tub, and rest today, I am sure my friends will do the same.

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

Five hours after we finished our run, I am now starting to feel alive again. This was a really hard one. The last 19 miler we did felt better this one. I think it was the combination of the heat, doing too much the previous days, and improper nutrition. I kept thinking about what we were talking about on our run, about how people think marathons are a test of endurance. It isn't so much a test of endurance on race day, but in the training. To know ahead of time the pain that is awaiting you and to keep coming back week after week. We are hitting that point in the training when we are just ready to be done with it. I may think differently after the race, but the training seems much worse than the actual race.

marathon mom said...

Oh and we must have looked rather pathetic as we went into all these different businesses for water, restroom breaks, and ice. I think most people felt sorry for us, except for the mean lady at the bowling alley. As for the cyclist who told us we should be on the other side of the trail, it was a good thing he was going really fast because I think Patty would have taken him down. Don't mess with a bunch of hot, tired, grouchy women!

Patty said...

I KNOW we looked pathetic, the look on the face of the lady at Foster's was pure disgust! There were parts of today's run where I just didn't think I could run another step, and then times when I noticed my knee pain was gone and I could relax and pick up the pace. When my hubby passed us on McBean, he said we looked quite fresh. He asked me how far we had gone, I think he was very surprised how long it took us after that point. I am quite amazed at how the advil and the GU affected my running, it may be psychological but both seemed to make a noticable difference. I am so tired, but can't sleep, what is the deal! I can eat however, and have been ravenous since I got home. See you tomorrow.