Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!


Patty and I started our Halloween day with a 10 mile from Lowes. That should be enough to scare anyone! The way we've been feeling all week and the fact that C has been sick with the flu, I was really apprehensive about this run. Partially because I wasn't sure how long we could run without a break since we've gotten so used to the 1 mile run/walk method. By the two mile mark, I had to stop at McD for a bathroom break and by the 3 mile mark, I was feeling rather dead legged so we stopped and had a Gu break. We were able to keep going afterwards until the 5 mile turn around point where we finished off our Gu. Patty and I are big fans of Gu's now. We stopped again at 6.5 miles to refill our water bottles and then ran the rest of the 3.5 miles in. Considering how many times we had to stop today, I'm a little worried about the half marathon next week. I'm still not sure what strategy I'm going to use, to run/walk or try to run most of the way. We are also worried about C for next week and whether she will be feeling strong enough to run the half after having the flu. Patty and I managed just over a 10 min pace for the entire 10 miles, which included our stoppage time.
I hope everyone has a safe Halloween and don't forget to set your clocks back!

4 comments:

Patty said...

I really wasn't anticipating have trouble with our run today, but I do think that our bodies are getting used to the run/walk training and it is hard not to look forward to those walk breaks. It seems to be the only way I can put the longer miles in with my knee issues though. I haven't felt like myself all week and today is no exception (exhausted, stuffy, and a bit nauseous) I think your theory about fighting off the flu is probably not too far off. In fact, I think you may be coming down with something, you looked a bit under the weather to me today!!
Just carved pumpkins with my #5 son, I am done because I do the easy patterns, he is so patient and still working on his. HAPPY HALLOWEEN, be safe!!

marathon mom said...

My sons think they are too old to carve pumpkins and #1 son is too old to go trick or treating and I'm not sure if my #2 son will go tonight. When they both stop trick or treating, I will sorely miss the Halloween candy. I am feeling a little under and so I decided to just mope around in PJs all day. At least no one will think too much about me answering the door in PJs tonight. Can't think of a better way to spend Halloween, except I need to stay out of the candy jar!

Patty said...

I have been handing out candy while in my PJ's and some adorable child ask if I had been in bed. I told her it was my costume! Most of the kids have been exceptionally polite. I have lots of little neighbors now and it makes me sad that my kids are "too old" to go out with me. A kid just came by in the best robot costume made out of cardboard boxes, with flashing lights on the front. Glad I didn't have to make that one!

marathon mom said...

In the Beilin home, this is Benjamin favorite time of year.