Monday, October 5, 2009

Half to Full

So not even one day after running our long run of 18.5 miles, what do my friends and I do? We register ourselves for the half marathon, which is less than a month before our full marathon. Either we have completely lost our minds or we are a glutton for pain and punishment. As I sit here with a sore hip, I'm wondering how am I going to run that half? Will I run to get a PR or like we said, treat it like a training run? If I really wanted to treat it like a training run, then why the heck did I pay almost $45 just to jog it? Of course we're going to race it no matter what because my friends and I are super competitive. I just hope we don't do anything stupid and get hurt before the full marathon. So now while I'm staying awake at night thinking about running the full marathon, I'm also thinking about how I'm going to run the half when I should be sleeping. Will I run the entire way or will I try a mixed run/walk strategy similar to the marathon? Will I finally run under 2 hours? Will Patty's knee hold up? I feel the weight of a half and full marathon upon my shoulders. I think I'll have a glass of wine and try not to think about it.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I was thinking how crazy it was to sign up, when just a short time ago I was worried about getting through a short run. I think we caved into to the pressure of the discount, and were coming off that runner's high from Sunday! My son's youthful enthusiasm also played a part, but I am sure he doesn't suffer nearly as much as I do after the race. See you later!