Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Cheerleader

Today C and I were still feeling rather icky after our run from the weekend while Patty was feeling pretty good. She was trying really hard on Sunday and today to bolster our spirits by being the cheerleader in our group by constantly telling us what a great job we are doing. While I really do appreciate her efforts, I just kept thinking about the kids we cheer for when we're at the high school cross country meets. I know how they feel. I kept envisioning the kids in the back that are struggling and how we keep yelling "great job, you're doing great!" and the look on their faces which betray what they are thinking (please be quiet and let me get this agony over with because I am not doing so great). So today while Patty was telling us how great we were doing, I just kept thinking that I am not doing so great and how much I wanted the run to be over with. As sluggish as C and I felt, we managed a 9.4 average pace, which leads to me to believe that we really did want the run to end quickly. It was still very nice of Patty to try and encourage us even if C and I weren't buying it.

1 comment:

Patty said...

I am not used to the "cheerleader" role, and not sure if I have been doing a good job. I know the looks that the kids give me when I cheer for them, and you guys have been giving me the same look. I don't speak any other languages but I looked up the translation and it is @#$%! you. I am going to go back to being the one to get the encouragement, I am more comfortable in that role!