Thursday, July 29, 2010

Uh Excuse Me?

Okay, this is the second week in a row when someone has cut in front of me in the finish chute at the COC Summer Series.  Last week it was some woman and I made sure she didn't take my card by letting her know.  This week it was some big burley guy and several people told him he needed to stay in finish order.  I turned around and told him "there's no glory in cheating an old woman".  His excuse was that he didn't want to stop, which I didn't, I was just walking slowly since it is the finish chute.  Anyhow, I was just so glad that it was over and that I finally broke 27 minutes.  I made sure Patty was a witness to my GPS in case they messed up the times again.  I think both Patty and I felt a lot better today, perhaps from resting the couple of days before the race and not doing intervals.  I think we both felt like we kept a more even controlled pace, but both of us felt that we could have done better if there weren't so many darn people tonight.  Normally my card # is in the mid 200's, tonight my # was 419.  I think Patty said there were 3 times more people tonight than before and I definitely felt it.  Both of us got stuck behind two big guys, one being coached by the other.  I came across them on the second hill and had a hard time going around them because they were walking up the hill side by side, VERY annoying.  Why can't they walk single file?  This was my last race for the season and it felt good to finally be done.  I think Patty might have one or two more races left in her.  Her son, who is going off to college this year, came and ran the race and did quite well considering he hasn't been training with a team.  He cheered for me as I came into the stadium, but Patty got the royal treatment and had him running in with her.  Isn't that sweet?  I had a little kid yelling me encouragement around the final curve and he was telling me to keep going I'm almost there.  He was so cute and sweet and his words of encouragement brought a smile to my face as I finished.

1 comment:

Patty said...

It did feel a lot better tonight than last week, and I have no doubt if it wouldn't have been so crowded I would have had a better time. The two burly guys really slowed me down coming off the service road till we passed the coffee kiosk! I know they cost me at least 15, maybe 20 sec., at one point I had to force myself not to say something to them, cause he was weaving in front of me. I may have flaked out if my son was not coming with me and I am glad I didn't. He was happy with his run, and since none of his high school friends were there, he hung with us, and was very pleasant. He ran with me the last 200 and it really did make a difference, I could feel myself slowing at the final 100 but kept going because he was with me. I thought I would pass out though when I finally stopped. It was fun!