Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Looking Good While Swimming

I don't know if it is possible at this stage of my life to look good while swimming. I mean my bathing suit is inappropriate, and ill fitting, I wear goggles and a clip in my hair, and I flop around like a bird taking a bath! I won't say anything about my friend wearing the nose clips and snorkel, but at least her head is mostly in the water. Today's swim seemed easier, I was able to swim a couple of laps without feeling like my heart was going to pound out of my chest, and Marathon Mom and I were able to swim consistantly for pretty close to 30 min. That is progress!

There was another woman swimming who started before us, and finished after us, and she must have been a former olympian she was swimming so smoothly. We studied her for a bit, and I realized that I have been breathing all wrong, and will try to adjust next time, so I am not spitting water like a whale, when I breathe out. There was also a rather large and hairy man, sporting a pretty small speedo who showed up with his flippers to get some exercise. I later regretted chuckling at him, because when I went to Big 5 later to try on bathing suits, I realized that I looked just the same squeezed into the too tight suits that were on sale this week :(. Since I had spent my entire day driving around in 100+ weather, I gave up on the suit for today, and will try again when I am not so sweaty, and maybe when they get my size.

I did enjoy starting my day with a swim, and if I could just get my gear together would like to make it a regular habit. My goggles worked great, thanks to the hubby!

2 comments:

marathon mom said...

I was thinking how much more relaxed I felt after our swim this morning. It's such an entirely different feeling from running when you're not feeling all sweaty and gross after you exercise. I was also surprised at how many people are actually out doing laps that early in the morning. I do feel like I am improving my swimming capabilities and feel that my lung capacity has gotten better; however, I still have a long way to go before I can swim as smoothly as the lady we were observing today.

marathon mom said...

One good thing about swimming with a snorkel is that I don't have to come up for air and see what's going on around me. When I finally came up for air, all I saw was you chuckling and it took me a while to see what was so funny. Thankfully for me, the hairy man with the fins soon went into the water.