Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day

Can you imagine a more gorgeous place to run?  I guess that's why I'm willing to run a race with virtually no oxygen with a bunch of strangers on the Fourth of July in the middle of the day and have cotton mouth the entire time I'm running.  I almost didn't run the race because the day before my foot was hurting me so much that my husband and Picture Lady were trying to convince me not to run, but I knew that I would really regret it if I didn't.

When I showed up at the start on race day and was waiting for the restrooms, I was talking to a man and his family.  He was worried that everyone looked really fast and the race looked really fast too and I told him not to worry because it really is low key.  I mean, come on, how serious can you take a race when you have a clown, Uncle Sam, a man with a fly fishing reel, and a bunch of dogs in the same race?  He then asked me if I enter a lot of races because I look really familiar.  I told him not really, but people always say I look familiar and I told him I didn't live around Mammoth, but was from the Santa Clarita Valley.  He then said, "that's why you look so familiar! I live in Valencia and I see you and your friends running all the time!"  As it turns out, his son goes to Bridgeport Elementary.  Such a small world.

The race finally started with Deena Kaster as the MC.  Gosh she is really skinny!  I really struggled getting out and had to work through the little kids and the golden retriever that wouldn't behave and was jumping around in front of me because it's owner couldn't control the leash.  As the crowd began to thin, I was feeling pretty decent, but knew not to get too confident at this elevation.  And then that's when it hits, exactly the same place as last time, the 1/2 mile mark.  There's suddenly no air.  You keep gasping and breathing, but it does no good.  You literally feel like a fish out of water and it is the strangest feeling.  You are going through the motions of breathing, but it feels like no air is coming into your lungs.  Finally after I got over the last uphill part, I could feel my legs and lungs coming back to me and had my sights on the finish.  I was determined not to let the old man in the green running outfit beat me (you can see him in the video) or the guy with the fly fishing equipment and I was finally able to beat the old lady that got me last time.  I think I came in around 8:06 and would have liked to get under 8, but I had too slow of a start and couldn't make up the time.  My husband videoed the last part of my race.


I can't wait to hear how Marisol's race went this weekend and if Patty decided to enter the race too.  I'm sure I'll hear all about it soon.  Next year, I would love all my friends to join me up at Mammoth to celebrate Independence Day and to run the Freedom Mile of course.  I think I have Picture Lady convinced to run it next year.

4 comments:

Patty said...

I watched your video again, and this time I noticed the old guy in the green and all the little kids. Welcome to my world! I don't feel too badly for you though, since you won first in your age group. Now that you have a taste of winning, you should do really well at the COC race on Thurs.

marathon mom said...

It's kind of weird how the whole age group thing worked out because had I been in the next two age groups up (45-49 or 50-54), I wouldn't have placed at all. I hope that means that you only get better with age.

As for the COC race, I think I'll have a lot more serious competition out there.

Picture Lady said...

I noticed the age bracket thing also and assumed more locals were in those groups (Alpine Strider's) However. I also think that with age we realize it's time to "Seize The Day"... enjoying the little things and knowing with age that we/I will look back and maybe see that they were the big things.
I had a great weekend, wish I would have run also. :-)

Marisol said...

Awesome Job Marathon Mom! So cute that your hubby taped you!