Friday, July 16, 2010

I'm No Mermaid

Well I am definitely no mermaid and certainly can't come close to swimming like one either.  Today I was all by myself at the pool and swam a total of 30 laps.  I swam the first 12 freestyle with no snorkel and practiced my breathing.  I worked on taking air in on one side only and breathing out while looking down and it seemed to work.  I think I have the hang of it.  I then swam another 14 laps with my snorkel and tried to get a good cardio workout by increasing my speed.  Then for the last 4 laps, I used a newly purchased kickboard to work on my abs and core.  I've heard that swimming like a mermaid helps build those key abdominal muscles.  Well, having the kickboard in front of me kicking my legs together like a mermaid got me absolutely nowhere, literally.  It was like I was just swimming in place.  Either I'm doing it all wrong or I have absolutely no strength in this area.  I did eventually figure out that if I put my head down rather than keeping it up the whole time, this helps propel me forward a little better, but it was still rather slow.  I will keep at it since it can't get any worse.  Who knows maybe if I keep trying, I'll eventually grow fins.

No comments: