Saturday, July 17, 2010

Girl Power!

We met early this morning to try and beat the heat, but we lost! Marathon Mom, Marisol, C and I set out at 6:45 from Lowe's to see how close to 10 miles we could run. I spent a wonderful day at the beach yesterday, and enjoyed the cooler weather a little too much, getting a bad sunburn. The combination of being worn out from the sun, and the fact that I skipped my morning coffee, made me feel like my legs were just empty this morning. I was dragging before we hit the S. Fork trail, and had to stop and walk a bit before we got to the M. Mountain Pkwy underpass. I had already decided that I would turn around after the water fountain, but so had the rest of the group. We managed to get in 6.5 miles, and I don't even want to guess what the pace was. Since Marisol was with us, I feel like the pace going out was a little quicker than usual, but Marathon Mom was the only one who seemed to have anything left on the way back.

We sat inside a cool Starbucks and had our coffee (I was shaking by then), and talked a bit to other SCR's who seemed to be just as affected by the heat. When we started out this morning there was a girl who was new to the SCR's and she thought we were the whole group. We tried to politely tell her that we were SCR's, but didn't run with them because we were so slow, we liked to start before them. I think we were all feeling a little guilty for not inviting her to join us, but then at the S. Fork Trail, we saw her fly by, leading the whole group of SCR's, men and all! Another girl on a bike was so impressed by our little group of women, running and chatting that she shouted "Girl Power" to us as she passed by. I don't know how much "power" I had today, (I am trying to forget the actual run), but I did enjoy all the new chatter we had, because of the extra friends!

3 comments:

marathon mom said...

It was nice to have some extra conversation along for the run today. On a normal day, I would have felt badly about not finishing the entire 10 miles, but not today. I think part of being a good runner is knowing what your limits are. I also felt like our pace going out was a little fast. I'm pretty sure we finished our 6.5 miles in under one hour which means our pace was pretty good in this heat, about 9.23. You know when we ran by that lady that shouted something to us, I thought she said "white power!" because so many of us were wearing white. I'm glad your stomach held out, even if meant no coffee. Next time make sure you GU up with caffeine.

Patty said...

I felt like we were running fast on the way out, and I just had to catch my breath. I didn't feel bad about turning around when we did, it just wasn't my day. I am surprised we kept our pace what it was considering I felt like I wasn't even moving during the last two miles. I think we need a hot weather route for days like today, one with a little more shade! It was nice to have all the conversation going today, it made it easier for me, to hang in there.

marathon mom said...

I know what you mean about a different route on hot days. I didn't think about running up to Copperhill until Paola mentioned it. When you mentioned the train bridge, it just didn't sound appealing because there's no shade on that side. I totally forgot about the McBean route. I like doing an out and back just in case one of us isn't feeling it and with the train bridge, we would have been committed to doing the whole loop. It would be interesting to see how far that is, but only on a cooler day.